I didn't come this far, only to come this far!

I don't really know where to begin with this other than, denial is a bitch! I started off the year with the 'New Year New Me' mindset which up until very recently I believed I was following. I had turned a new leaf and was trying to get back into a rhythm I didn't realise I had fallen out of. Everything came to a head last Sunday when I stood in front of my bedroom mirror in my 'old' cycling kit. Just like how I'd imagine a wrecking ball hits, I immediately sobered up and the rose tinted glasses shattered.

In my head, I've been keeping my head well above water. I run 8km every Wednesday morning with my friend, I do parkrun on Saturday but only when I'm around. I've started Yoga at work. I stopped going to Weight Watchers and Bootcamp as I felt everything would naturally fall back under control while I trained for the Paris Marathon - which will be my 10th marathon.

On one hand I was looking forward to the challenge of getting back out on the road clocking up the miles and long distance run, building myself back up to take on 42.2km in April. On the other hand, as the weeks passed and the countdown grew smaller and smaller, I never let go of the Paris dream. On Sunday, as I stared at my reflection wondering 'What happened? Where did the time go?', I knew the time had come to have a proper conversation with myself.
I've always believed in SMART goals (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time bound) yet here I was with the notion that Paris was still a possibility. In my head I know its not realistic for someone to run a marathon when the longest run they've done in preparation is 10km. Yes I could run/walk/crawl to the finish line but where is the achievement in that? I know I can run one, I know I can do it in a time I'd be proud of and why should I compromise that?


So here I am... My very first DNS (Did Not Start). I didn't even make it to France let alone the start line! I cancelled my hotel reservation and realised I've lost out on the experience of running the 2017 Paris Marathon. Of course I'm disappointed with myself but this was entirely of my own making. No one stopped me going to bootcamp, no one hid or sabotaged my training plan. I have to accept responsibility for the fact I am where I am today because of the choices I made (or didn't make).

On Tuesday, I took the first (baby) step back in the right direction and I went back to Weight Watchers. I've always believed in the power of taking even a small step in the right direction. I didn't come this face to only come this far. My story won't be 'Remember that guy who lost the weight, ran a few marathons and then put it all back on again' - thats where I'm heading if I don't stop this weird funk I'm in right now. Every week I'm going to change just one thing - this week it was going back to Weight Watchers, next week I'll head back to Bootcamp because what I've been doing hasn't been working - the proof isn't in the pudding!











Comments

  1. We have all been there. You have been there and back, and may happen again. I think being aware is the key. It suckes to have to look in a mirror to see it, but if that's what it takes. My fitness routine started 10 years ago when I had a "look in the mirror" moment. I was sad and upset with myself. So I started at the gym. It started slow, then as I got used to it, I really started to achieve results. A year later and I thought I had the key and I was set. We a few financial and emotional setbacks and I wasn't where I wanted to be. I continued to go to the gym regularly, but I stalled...for nearly 8 years. My weight went back and forth. The key didn't fit anymore.

    What motivated me again that time was reading your tweets and blog, and following your story. I must say when I met you all in Galway and Dublin, I was kind of ashamed with how I looked and that I wasn't where I wanted to be. But, following yours and Cathal's and Brad's and Rob's journeys. From quitting smoking, taking up running, doing first marathons, doing many firsts. I started running, did some 5Ks. Still not a runner, though. But it is still a dream I will strive for. I've recently taken up with a trainer and started weight training, and I am seeing the results I saw so many years ago. I have had a few setbacks in these months, but I will continue to move forward.

    Honestly, seeing people struggle sucks. Struggling sucks. But, I think it is more motivational than seeing those on a constant upward trajectory. Because most of us just do not have it that easy.

    I guess what I am trying to say is I am sorry you had to come to another moment like this. But it is still inspiring. Because you have the awareness. Because you can be just like all of us. We've all come this far. And we can all go further.

    Thanks for the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Caroline Ahmed from New York,After 6 years of marriage with no child i finally I got pregnant Glory to God almighty my Dear sister am writing to you to share with you what the Mallam Abudu Has done, I said to myself that I will testify when the Mallam Abudu does this with herbal medicine ,I emailed you for a request of your pregnancy medicine last year after seeing the testimonies of other ladies on a website online I decided to put my faith and come in agreement with you.Your pregnancy medicine and You prayed for me we agreed for me to conceive, Hallelujah!! Yes I did conceive two months after and I am now 4 months pregnant Glory to the Almighty God. I know I will have a smooth and easy delivery soon.contact him. mallamabuduspiritualhome@gmail.com or whatsapp him +2349055637784

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post...thanks for sharing more info and pictures of 10k. It is really helpful for people. Keep it up!
    10k races

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to use this opportunity to thank this great holy man called Priest Babaka for what he has done for me and my family. This great man has brought happiness and joy back again to me and my family. Priest Babaka has used his great power to help me bring back my husband within the period of 48 hours and also helped me in getting pregnant with his powerful prayers and after 7 days of applying his herbs.This is more than words can say, at first i didn't believe it but today it is so true and all thanks goes to him. i will advice every one out there that has a similar issue, and also any one who is willing to get his or her lover back and any one who wants to get pregnant quick to contact this wonderful man today and forever remain happy in life. email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka



    I want to use this opportunity to thank this great holy man called Priest Babaka for what he has done for me and my family. This great man has brought happiness and joy back again to me and my family. Priest Babaka has used his great power to help me bring back my husband within the period of 48 hours and also helped me in getting pregnant with his powerful prayers and after 7 days of applying his herbs.This is more than words can say, at first i didn't believe it but today it is so true and all thanks goes to him. i will advice every one out there that has a similar issue, and also any one who is willing to get his or her lover back and any one who wants to get pregnant quick to contact this wonderful man today and forever remain happy in life. email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete


  5. I had doubts about magic spells after purchasing many spells that never worked and actually decided to never buy a spell again. I have tried different casters..Some of them never answered me after I paid and were obvious scammers, some really cast a spell but for some reason it didn't work. Then I saw a video on you-tube with a person who was mentioning she had results with DR,Okojie. Despite the suspicions I had her site looked real so I gave spells a last try. It's probably the best decision I ever made in my life because it worked and my wife came back with me After I broke up with Her I spent a lot of time wishing that I could just turn the clock backwards she helped me do just that. In fact our relationship feels like the break up never even happened. We have never been this happy or passionate, all thanks to Mrs Okojie. If you're looking for a good spell caster look no further, Mrs Okojie surpass all other spell-casters,you can contact her straight on (mrsokojiehealinghomeforall@gmail.com) mrsokojiehealinghomeforall@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. As claimed by Stanford Medical, It's really the SINGLE reason women in this country get to live 10 years more and weigh on average 42 pounds less than us.

    (Just so you know, it is not about genetics or some hard exercise and EVERYTHING to do with "how" they eat.)

    P.S, I said "HOW", not "WHAT"...

    CLICK this link to find out if this little questionnaire can help you find out your true weight loss possibility

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to testify to everyone on how my husband and i got children after our 5 years of marriage. we got married and we could not conceive a child we have been to several hospitals for checking and the doctors always say that we are okay that nothing is wrong with us, we have been hoping for a child, my husband was beginning to keep late night outside and pressure from the family for him to marry another wife and divorce me, i was always crying and weeping because i was loosing my marriage. so i visited my friend in Florida and she told me that she also have been through this same situation but she got her help of getting pregnant from a Herbal Doctor of fertility,, so she told me that she will connect me to the Herbal Doctor and he will prepare a FERTILITY HERBAL SOAP for me to have my own child, i spent 4days with her in Florida and we both email the Herbal Doctor and he said i should bring all my information to him and he said in 3days the Fertility soap will be prepared and he will send/ship it to me through UPS, after I used it as he instructed, so i waited and i went back made love with my husband and i conceive. so i am very grateful to the Herbal Doctor for his help and miracle that help me save my marriage. please for same help getting pregnant, contact him on zicoherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you having issues in your relationship, or finding it difficult to have a child of your own or are you the type having any diseases in your body. I will advice you to contact Dr. Abolo of Abolospell@gmail.com . The potency of his spell is so effective and can reunite broken relationship and can also make one get pregnant know matter the situation and not only that, he also has the power to cure all type of diseases within the period of 48hours.. Contact him today and thank me later.
    Contact details : Abolospell@gmail.com
    you can also contact hiim on whatsapp via: +27743411428.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment