Wednesday, 1 October 2014

Lets get Technical...

As you'll know from reading this blog, I like to run. In fact I'd go as far to say I love to run. One of my favourite parts of any run are the pre-run ritual which involves lacing up my runners, doing a warm-up and putting in my earphones before heading out the door. Another favourite part is when the run finishes - usually covered in sweat, there really is no better feeling than having run! I also love the run itself. I love the time I have with just my thoughts, I love taking in the view, I love the fresh air.

My running has mostly been dictated by time. When I started running I was more concerned about getting the distance covered before focusing on the time however I've become a bit of a time-monster. I rely too much on my time rather than how I am feeling. What I've noticed is, I like to keep myself under 5min/kms. Looking back over my past ten runs (one of which was the Marconi Half Marathon), my average pace has consistently been just under 5:00/km.



As long as my time is clocking under 5:00 minutes, I'm happy out. I don't push myself beyond that pace when out for a run yet expect myself to perform 'better' than a standard run. I also haven't been clocking any PBs, in fact my most recent one was back in May. I remember the exact moment I decided to quit smoking was when I'd signed up for my first marathon last year and I thought: If I am going to put in this much time and effort, why am I immediately disadvantaging myself by smoking. 

I am having the same thoughts about my running now... If I am going out for a run, I may as well make them the best runs possible and do the best I can with the time and energy I am already spending running. I am still doing my cross-training (Bootcamps) twice a week which I feel is super for maintaining my core and strength - I trust the process, I trust the trainer and I can see the results (Yesterday I clocked my first 5 minute plank!). When it comes to running, I've only ever relied on myself, how I feel and my clock time.

About a month ago, I started looking for something to help me understand me - not in a 'philosophical inward reflecting mirror kind-of-way' but more in a 'I want to understand how my body works, what it needs and how I can run/train more efficiently'. Say for example, I want to run another marathon... If I am going to put in the 18 weeks training, I want to do be better than the last time. I've said it before but the thing I love about running (and most things in life) is: You are in competition with one person and one person only – yourself.



I'd heard of a guy, Matthew Bidwell, in Galway who was doing fitness/running training and analysis so I have him a google. Anyone in and around Galway will know Matthew from a lot of the races - his name appears at the top (or close to the top) of each race results list, so who better to turn to for training advice. I contacted Matthew at Fitness Analytics and made an appointment for a Lactate Threshold test. The test calculates the correct training intensities for all types of run sessions. I was interested to see how I would get on, what Matthew would say and what advice/training he could give me.

Fitness Analytics (Website Here)

My next post will tell you what happened at my appointment and the feedback I got. 

4 comments:

  1. What a cliffhanger! Can't wait to see how you got on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I wasn't planning on leaving it on a cliff hanger... I had to go to work :)

      Delete
  2. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete