Hello Taper...

Yesterday evening, as the sun went down over Oranmore throwing a beautiful orange hue over cow-filled fields, I finished my 22.5km run - the last long run of my Marathon plan. Its 2 weeks to my first marathon. Where the hell has the last 10 weeks gone? I have followed my plan religiously (moving runs a day or two here and there to accommodate life which inevitably gets in the way) and here I am standing at the fringe of my first Marathon Taper.

My marathon plan

The primary aim of a taper is "to minimize accumulated fatigue, rather than to attain additional physiological adaptations or fitness gains". I am following a checklist as set out on Runners World (here) which is going to guide me right up to the race day in two weeks time. I have already trusted the plan this far so who am I not to trust the taper... Here is what it says:

Training Checklist
  1. Your mileage should be 1/2 to 2/3s the amount you ran during your highest milage
  2. Almost all runs should be slow (90s-120s slower than marathon goal pace)
  3. Weekday short runs should not exceed 4 miles (6.4km)
  4. Weekend long run should be 8-10 miles (13-16km) max
Mental Preparation:
  1. Set multiple time goals so you won't finish the race "empty handed"
    e.g. Fantastic, Really Good and Good
  2. Set general (non-time) goals
  3. Prepare for the race morning - How you'll get there, where you'll park, how early you want to get there, what you'll wear?
  4. Check the course map and study it
Nutritional Needs:

  1. Keep Calories coming in as usual - your body still needs to repair tissue damaged during milage built-up.
  2. Even though you are running less, resist the temptation to cut way back on fat. Fat reserves postpone or prevent race-day collision with "the wall"
  3. Eat foods high in unsaturated fat such as nuts or fish.
  4. If weight-lifting, stop
In terms of training, my plan follows that exactly what is specified above. This week I have 38km to clock up versus the 62km I was doing two weeks ago. My weekday runs are all 6km and my planned weekend run is 13km. All in all, the only thing I have to be aware of there is just to keep my runs slower than Marathon Pace. As for Mental Prep, I need to do some work on my time and non-time goals. While I have times in mind but I need to sit down and check how realistic they are before I commit them to this blog. Obviously I'd love to say 'I'll run it in 3 hours' but that really isn't realistic. I promise I'll post them as soon as I have decided what I want to set as my target. 

Finally (and most scarily) are the Nutritional Needs. This is where I think I am going to have the biggest problem. In training for the Marathon, I have let my nutrition slip but have been getting away with it thanks to the amount of time I have spent running. A biscuit here, a treat there. Individually they weren't impacting on me as I knew say at coffee break while I was enjoying a Toffeepop that I was heading off out for a 10km run as soon as I got home from work. Now however, I think I am going to have to be careful for the next two weeks not to splurge (which I already feel I have been doing).

I am dreading tomorrow's WW weigh-in, purely because I know I have been a pup all week. I have been dipping in and out of the fridge/press on a regular basis under the presumption "Sure amn't I training for a marathon". And while the argument mentioned in the link I posted above says 'This is no time to diet' - I know I have been bending that rule just a little bit too much in my favour. There is a difference between the fats obtained in Haagen Daas versus say a Tuna Pasta.

Either way, here I am in the Taper Zone. I've said in a previous post before about time passing, and how it will pass regardless of what you do with it. Again I am reminded of how true this statement is. I've put in the hours pounding the roads around Galway. I've stuck to the plan. I've run even when all I have wanted to do was sit curled up on the couch. Something tells me this could be a long two weeks up to the Marathon - but I'm excited. 

Comments

  1. I suspect you're going to find the taper tougher than the race! I'll slag you incessently over the next few weeks if I see you Instagramming any inappropriate meals and snacks!!!

    You have my complete respect and admiration for getting to where you are in such a short and disciplined time. If I get my mojo back, I'll try line up with you (or a nearby coral) in next years Dublin marathon.

    Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt Karl that you'll be lining up next year and I'll hopefully be beside you (assuming I don't die during the Marathon!). You can be my Instagram-monitor administering slaps where needed :)

      Delete
  2. Most thought provoking, as usual. Enjoy your taper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Diet Taps into Innovative Idea to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 15 Pounds within Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment