Review of May & Goals for June

I had set myself two goals for May:

Goal 1:
  • Complete my first Half Marathon in 2 hours (give or take a few minutes)

Goal 2:
  • Top April's figures:
    • Run for 10 hours
    • Run 100K
    • Obtain a better average pace (5m 32s/km) 

So... I ran the Burren Half Marathon on May 25th (Blog Post Here) in 2 hours 1 minute. That is pretty bang on my goal. Still raging about that minute at the end but do you know what - it's motivated me so much that I've already signed up for my next Half Marathon - The Rock n Roll in Dublin on the August Bank Holiday weekend. I'm really looking forward to it actually.

My 2nd Goal was to Top Aprils Figures
  • Run for 10 hours - I ran for 10 hours 47 minutes
  • Run 100K - I ran 121KM
  • Obtain a better average pace (5m 32s/km) - Average Pace: 5m 20s/km


BOOM BOOM BOOM!

May also saw me get my fastest 5K time (23m 22s) and fastest 10K time (51m 50s). I am also 8lbs lighter going into June. I'm delighted!

My reward for May was going to be a new pair of running shoes - but seen as I have two pairs already I have decided my money would be better spent elsewhere as a reward. So I have booked flights to London to see Viva Forever in the West End before the show closes at the end of June. I'm so excited. It's such a treat but I can't wait! Feic it - I deserve it :)

June is going to be a funny month as I have nothing really planned for this month unlike last month. Bootcamp has finished and I didn't sign up again for the next round of it. The 5K Series is nearly over and I have yet to sign up for a race so I'm finding it quite difficult to pin down goals for the month. I was at the Physio during the week thanks to my sore knee following the half marathon and get gave me a load of tips and advice. With that in mind, my first goal for this month will be:

Goal 1:
  • Improve my Strength
    • Do Strength Exercises twice a week ("Strength training is one of the single most important non-running aspects of training that can help you become a better runner.")
    • Do one Speed-Work Training Session per week
    • Do one Cross-Training Workout per week

My second goal is more to keep me in check - I plan on matching what I have done in May. While matching my previous months work is not really pushing myself, I feel it is a high enough bar to aim for. Excluding the Half Marathon, I ran 100K - the first time I've managed to do that in a month despite it being a goal since April.

When you add in the Cross-Training session (not running), I think it is a sufficient enough challenge to keep me focused throughout June before I head off on holidays in July and then have the Half at the beginning of August.

Goal 2:
  • Match May's figures:
    • Run for 11 hours
    • Run 120K
    • Obtain a better average pace (5m 20s/km) 

Using my SMARTER rules from the previous month, everything will stay the same except for my reward which will be something holiday related. New clothes perhaps? 

  • Specific - Match May's Figures with a better pace. Add Strength, Speed-work and Cross-Training to my weekly routine
  • Measurable - Use the Nike Running App & Excel Plan to schedule additional training
  • Attainable - Of course it is :) 
  • Realistic - Assuming my knee remains in check, it is. I've done it already - I can do it again!
  • Time-sensitive - 30 days (June)
  • Evaluation - Aim for 25k / week (2 hrs 30 mins commitment a week)
  • Reward - Something Summery!

Comments

  1. With all the activities you had, 2013 was a busy and productive year for you. It was just too bad that you couldn’t give your 100% because of your sore knee. Thankfully, you had a Physio on your side that gave you tons of advice on what exercise you could do and which ones to avoid while recovering. Anyhow, how are you? I hope you enjoyed the New Year celebrations!

    Emmett Fletcher @ CK Physio

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment