60 Days

The Dublin Marathon is 60 Days away... That's just over 8 weeks away! I've even added a little countdown timer to the blog...check it out over there on the right (follow the arrow)



I have been following the Boards.ie plan for the Marathon and it has been going great so far. I have to say the advice and support that people are giving each other over there as been great - I'm loving it, constantly checking in to see how everyone is getting on. Yesterday, I noticed the following post:
For the novices, the high mileage that you are doing is a shock to the system. 
From my 1st marathon a few years ago - here's some of the things I wish I could undo - made my 1st marathon experience a shocking one. 
(1) Running while injured.
(2) Not understanding the real physiological value in recovery runs & rest days
(3) Not owning & using a foam roller.
(4) Paying no attention to stretching or core work
(5) Looking for quick fixes - there are none - the aim is prevention.
 
The 1st aim of any marathoner - novice or experienced - is to make the start line injury free.
(link here)

It would be very short-sighted of me to ignore advice given by people who know what they are talking about as they have done it before. The poster is correct but was something I had never thought about before - my number one aim should be to turn up at the start line uninjured. What good is it to have worked out a planned pace, have done up a fancy excel sheet and prepared for weeks when you can't even make it to the start line?



My biggest offence from the post above relates to the foam roller. I own a foam roller and I use it but I don't use it as much as I probably should - so I am making that my resolution for September. Roll roll and more foam roll! I only use the roller when I feel something is a bit tight, but prevention is a safer approach. I promise I'll foam roll after each run.

I think the main thing that I have learned from last weekend's 30km run that ended in me shaking on the couch cradling a large bowl of popcorn and guzzling water is that I need to take what I am doing seriously. My body (in fairness to it) has done a great job so far in handling everything I have thrown at it. From WW to Bootcamps to Running to quitting smoking - it mustn't know what hit it! I don't know what I did in a previous life to be so fortunate, it's like I had a runner trapped inside me for the past 30 years waiting for his opportunity to spring into action.

I have also bought myself some books which I am looking forward to getting tucked in to this weekend:


Sixty Days...

It's at times like this I have to remember that I went from never running before to running my first 10K in under 60 days. 

When I joined Weight Watchers, I had lost a stone and a half (21lbs) in my first 60 days.

Looking forward, I can't wait to see how many miles my legs will cover in the next 60 days... I am also looking forward to being 75 days smoke free in 60 days time (I'm on Day 16 here and still going strong). A lot can happen in 60 days, training for my first marathon is how I plan on spending mine!

What are you planning to do over the next 60 Days?


Comments

  1. I know absolutely nothing about running and am not likely to run anything apart from a tap in the future, but I think that's great advice for anything - to turn up injury free! It's an obvious thing but one nobody would think of. Your body has coped with an awful lot in the last 12 months, I have no doubt that you will do great at this, but make sure to look after yourself too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! You are right, it applies to everything we do - The number one rule for life is to turn up injury free. I remember seeing an ep of Oprah before about Road Rage and she was like "What is your rush? If the traffic is bad you have to remember that you ARE the traffic" - it always stuck with me, esp the What is your rush part? Don't risk anything (driving, exercise etc) when there is a possibility you could get seriously hurt.

      Delete

Post a Comment